Driver Training School Regulations
All driving schools must meet certain standards. The Automobile Driver Training School Regulations outline the standards for opening a driving school in South Carolina. These programs allow SCDMV authorized trainers and testers to administer the knowledge and/or skills tests to someone who is applying for a first-time passenger vehicle or motorcycle license.
Driver Training and Testing Programs
The SCDMV partners with people, corporations, or governmental subdivisions to administer SCDMV tests or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. If you’re interested in becoming a trainer or tester and would like to enroll in any of these programs, you must meet the qualifications outlined in the specific Third Party Tester Safety Officer Manual and be trained.
Safety Officer Manuals
- Class D Third Party Tester Safety Officer Manual
- Motorcycle Third Party Tester Safety Officer Manual
You must be approved by the SCDMV before you can test drivers. If you’re interested, complete all of the following documents:
- Third Party Tester Agreement (SCDMV Form DL-304E)
- Third Party Tester Safety Officer and/or Designated Responsible Person Application (SCDMV Form DL-304F), for each safety officer and the responsible person
- Affidavit of Eligibility (SCDMV Form AD-808A), for each safety officer and the responsible person
- Provide an official SLED criminal background check, for each safety officer, dated within 30 days of application
Mail the completed documents to:
Office of Inspector General
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0015
Please call the Office of Inspector General at 803-896-9606 if you have any questions.
SC Code Section 56-23-10