The SCDMV branch on Wappoo Road in Charleston permanently closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 22.Locations
You may hear Electronic Lien and Title referred to as ELT.
When a lien is satisfied on a vehicle with an electronic title, the following will occur:
- The Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) lender will send an electronic message to the SCDMV.
- The SCDMV will mark the lien as satisfied on applicable files.
- A title will be printed and mailed to the second lienholder, the owner, or the "mail to" address identified in the message.
A "mail to" address can be a dealership, bank, or other third party.
Lien Release/ELT Print
If you're an Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) lender, you can transmit electronic lien releases and/or print title requests if a lien release or printed title is required the same day. When data is received from the provider, the following will occur:
- The SCDMV will prepare the title for issuance over the counter at a branch.
- The provider will give the customer a receipt for the over the counter title and charge an expedited fee.
- If the title is not picked up after one day, the title will be printed and mailed to either the owner, lienholder, or designated address.
If you're an Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) lender and receive a lien notification that is not recognized as your lien:
- A “lien release due to error” message will be sent to the SCDMV.
- The agency will research the error by verifying the electronic data with the title application and supporting documents.
- If an error was made recording the lien, owner, or vehicle data, the error will be corrected, and a new lien notification will be sent to the ELT lender.
- If the error cannot be corrected, the SCDMV will contact the you by letter, email, or telephone.