Accident Information

If You Have an Accident

The driver or owner of each vehicle involved in an accident where there is property damage, injury or death must provide verification that the vehicle was properly insured. The investigating officer will provide both drivers with a green form (FR-10), which must be completed by the insurance company. This insurance verification form must be completed whether you were at fault or not and it must be submitted to DMV within 15 days of the accident. Your insurance company can submit this information electronically.


If DMV is unable to verify insurance for the accident, your driver license and your vehicle registrations may be suspended. If suspended you may have to pay up to $650.00 in reinstatement fees and file SR22 for three years from the beginning date of the suspension. If you did not have insurance at the time of the accident, you will also be required to provide proof that you have settled all damages to the other parties involved before you can be reinstated. 

Back to Top

Accident Reports

Once law enforcement has completed their investigation and submitted the accident report to DMV, you may request a copy of the report. To request an accident report, you must complete Form FR-50 and pay the $6.00 fee. Please provide as much information as possible on the Form FR-50.


To request an accident report by mail, you may send the Form FR-50 along with your check or money order for $6.00 to the following address:


Office of Financial Responsibility
Post Office Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016


If you wish to obtain an accident report from a DMV office, you may visit the DMV office located at 10311 Wilson Blvd. in Blythewood or 1630 Shop Road in Columbia, SC.  

Back to Top