How do I change my address? 

You may change your address online, at an SCDMV branch, or by mail. 

It is free to update your address online. The SCDMV will mail your new vehicle registration card. You don't have to get a new beginner's permit, driver's license, or identification card, but you may buy one if you're interested. 

Please note that changing your address with the SCDMV does not automatically change your address with the South Carolina Election Commission.  You will be prompted to go the SC Election Commission webpage to change your address which may change your voting precinct.

Change my address
If you're visiting a branch to update your information, consider bringing all required documents to buy a REAL ID. To find a complete list of accepted documents, view the United States Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93). International customers should view the International Customers' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94).To change your address in person, you may visit any SCDMV branch.

Find an SCDMV branch

You must change your name or address within ten days of the actual change. When you change your name or address with the SCDMV, all of your vehicle and driver records automatically update. If you change your address by mail, you must complete the Application for Name and/or Address Change (SCDMV Form 4057) and mail it to the address below:

Alternative Media
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035

How do I change my name?

You may change your name at an SCDMV branch and buy a new beginner's permit, driver's license, or identification card if you do all of the following: 

You must change your name with the Social Security Administration at least 48 hours before visiting the SCDMV to change your name.

The proper documentation includes any of the following:

  • Marriage license
  • Court order (issued by your county's family court)

It's $10 for a new license that reflects your updated name unless you're interested in a REAL ID. Your first REAL ID is $25 since it's considered renewing your license. You must have all required documents to purchase a REAL ID to be eligible for this card.

You only have one opportunity to change your name when you get married. You may not change your name again to a different variation of your married name without a court order.