You are eligible to receive an identification card if all of the following are true:
- You do not have a valid South Carolina driver's license or beginner's permit.
- You live in the SC.
- You are at least five.
You do not have driving privileges if you have an ID.
You must have the correct documents that prove your identity to get an ID.
Applying for an ID
If you're eligible for an identification card, you may apply for it by doing the following:
- Complete the Application for an ID (SCDMV Form 447-NC)
- Show all required documents proving your identity such as your original birth certificate, social security card, and two proofs of your current, physical South Carolina address
Find a complete list of accepted documents on the United States Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93) and International Customers' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94)
It’s free to SC residents who are at least 17. It’s $5 for people between the ages of five and 16.
An identification card expires five years after it’s issued. If you're renewing your identification card less than nine months from its expiration date, the renewal process is the same as if it wasn't expired.
If you're renewing your ID more than nine month from its expiration date, for example, your ID expired in March, but it's now December, you must do all of the following:
- Present two proofs of your current SC address
- Show proof of identity if the SCDMV doesn't have it on file
- Show proof of your social security number if the SCDMV doesn't have it on file
The United States Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93) and the International Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94) have a complete list of accepted documents that can prove your identity.