If you have a valid driver's license or identification card from another state and permanently move to South Carolina, you must apply for an SC license or ID. You must turn in your out-of-state license or ID when you get one in this state. You have 45 days to transfer your vehicle registration to this state.

You must visit an SCDMV branch and bring all of the following types of documents that prove your identity:

Proof of Identity, US Citizenship, and Date of Birth (Government-issued birth certificate or valid US Passport)
Proof of Social Security Number
Two Proofs of Current, Physical SC Address
Proof of Legal Name Change, if applicable

The United States Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93) and International Customers' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94) have a complete list of accepted documents for each category above.

In addition to the required documentation, you must take a vision test at the SCDMV and pay all applicable fees. Currently, an eight-year driver's license is $25.

Find an SCDMV branch
If you are moving to South Carolina from out-of-state and do not have your current license, you will need to provide a driving record from that state as proof of driving.  If your out-of-state license is expired by nine months or more, you must pass the knowledge, road, and vision tests.

If you own any vehicles, you must register them in this state. You have 45 days to transfer your vehicle title and registration.

If you've been convicted of a crime listed in SC Code Section 23-3-430, you must register with your county sheriff's office within three days of moving to this state.

Temporary Resident 

If you're moving to South Carolina temporarily, like a military member or a student, you are not required to get an SC driver's license for yourself or your dependents. But, you must have your valid out-of-state license to drive in this state.

Moving from South Carolina

If you move out of South Carolina, you must turn in your SC driver’s license or identification card to your new state when that state issues you a license or ID. Your new state will notify the SCDMV and your SC license or ID will be cancelled.

If you are registering a vehicle in another state, you must transfer your vehicle's liability insurance to that state as well. Before you cancel your SC insurance, turn in your SC license plate to the SCDMV. If you do not return your plate and if your insurance company cancels your insurance, you may owe up to $400.