Get a Special License Plate for My Organization
Your organization may receive a specialty license plate if one of the following are true:
- The South Carolina Legislature passed a law authorizing the SCDMV to produce a specialty plate.
- The specialty plate is sponsored by a non-profit organization.
No matter which is true, there's a $6800 non-refundable sponsorship fee that covers the initial production of the plate.
Special License Plate Fee
An organization that's granted a specialty plate will determine the fee the public will pay in addition to the regular registration fee a customer will pay. The organization will receive proceeds from the plate fee. Whether or not the organization chooses to receive a special plate fee, there will be a $10 fee to cover the SCDMV's cost for each new plate.
Applying For A Special License Plate
If an organization is interested in applying for an organization-specific license plate, a representative of the organization should submit all of the items below to
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0038
The request must be on the sponsoring organization's letterhead. In addition to the letter, submit all of the following:
- Completed Application for Approval of Organizational Specialty Plate (SCDMV Form RG-504A)
- Written authorization for use of any copyrighted or registered logo, trademark, or design to be used on the plate
- Electronic version of the organization's logo and proposed plate design in specified graphic format
- Color hard copy of the artwork
- Design must be in the standard template (white background with red and blue stripe, name of organization in top banner and South Carolina in bottom banner)
- Marketing plan that includes target audience, media to be used, and text of media messages
- Documentation from the IRS showing the organization currently has a 501(c)(3), 501(c)(7), 501(c)(6) or 501(c)(8) tax exempt status
- Prior tax returns or other documentation from the IRS showing the sponsoring organization has maintained the same tax-exempt status for at least five years before applying
Front and signature pages of IRS 990 for the previous five years.
- $6800 production fee
If your plate will be available to all
SC residents, it will be available for sale in the plate gallery