The SCDMV branch on Wappoo Road in Charleston permanently closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 22.Locations
Get a Personalized Plate
If you're interested in getting a personalized license plate, all of the following must be true:
- The vehicle you'll put the plate on has an empty weight of 9,000 pounds or less and a gross vehicle weight of 11,000 pounds or less.
- You have an updated tax receipt depending on the expiration date of your current plate.
Applying for a Personalized Plate
A variety of South Carolina plates can be personalized. To apply for a personalized plate, complete the Application for Personalized License Plate (SCDMV Form MV-96). You must pay $30 plus the registration fee.
Mail your completed application and payment, made out to the SCDMV, to the address below. Do not mail cash.
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0008
- There's a limit of seven characters of cars and trucks.
- There's a limit of six characters for motorcycles.
- You can include numbers and letters.
- If you include a blank space, it's a character.
- You may only use the "&" symbol on plates for cars and trucks.
- You cannot use symbols on motorcycle plates.
- All combinations must be approved by the SCDMV.