Getting a Hazmat Endorsement

As of February 7, 2022, you will need to complete an FMCSA approved ELDT training program to be eligible to apply for a hazardous materials (H) endorsement.

Only US Citizens and lawful permanent residents of the United States are eligible to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a hazmat endorsement. The SCDMV does not conduct Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Threat Assessments and fingerprinting for people applying for a hazmat endorsement. You cannot have a commercial learner's permit (CLP) with a hazmat endorsement.

The SCDMV cannot issue, renew, or upgrade a CDL with a hazmat endorsement (X or H) until you do all the following:

  • Complete your application
  • Get fingerprinted
  • Pass a background check and earn TSA security clearance
  • Pass the Hazmat knowledge test

The Requirements for Obtaining Hazardous Material Endorsements (SCDMV Form DL-400 (IS)) has additional information on these requirements.

You will need to submit a background check before your hazmat endorsement may be issued or renewed. You must submit the background check application for the TSA to approve. The TSA background check fingerprint fee is $86.50. This does not include the cost of the regular application ($15), 5-year Hazmat license ($15), and knowledge test ($2) at an SCDMV branch.