Quick Links

Pay Reinstatement Fees
Verify Payment Plan Eligibility

Questions about Suspensions

There are many different types of suspensions. If you have specific questions, call 803-896-5000 or visit an SCDMV branch.

Find an SCDMV branch
Effective May 19, 2024, a provisional license will no longer be issued for first offense DUI/DUAC with a BAC of .14 or less with a violation date of May 19, 2024, or after.

Provisional Driver's License

If your driving privileges are suspended for first offense of driving under the influence (DUI) or an unlawful alcohol concentration (DUAC), you may be eligible for a six-month provisional driver's license as long as you meet all of these requirements, based on when the violation happened. 

  • You must have or have had a valid SC driver's license.
  • You must have met all requirements for prior suspensions, revocations, and cancellations. 
  • If the DUI or DUAC violation was on May 18, 2024, or before, you must have a BAC of .14 or less.
  • You must have no other suspensions after the DUI or DUAC suspension except for these, as long as they are from the same DUI or DUAC violation: implied consent,  implied consent under 21, BAC of .02 or greater, BAC of .15 or greater, or alcohol violation.          
  • You must be enrolled in the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP).
  • You must pay $100 for a provisional license.

Effective May 19, 2024, a route-restricted driver's license will no longer be issued for BAC .15 or greater and IC with a violation date of May 19, 2024, or after.

Route Restricted Driver's License

If you are not a US citizen, you are not eligible for this license unless you have permanent resident alien status. 

If you receive a route restricted license, you may drive a regular, non-commercial vehicle during the activities below:

  • From work or school
  • During work or school
  • To and from an Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP)
  • To and from a court-ordered drug program

Your route restricted license is valid for the length of the suspension.

You may only receive one route restricted license once in your lifetime. The suspensions below are eligible for this license:

  • Accident Judgement
  • Alcohol Violation
  • Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .15
  • Controlled Substance
  • Failure to Stop for a Blue Light
  • False Insurance Certification
  • Implied Consent
  • Misrepresentation of Identity
  • Points

If you've been suspended for not paying child support or driving under suspension (1st or 2nd offense within five years), you may be eligible for more than one route restricted license in your lifetime.

To apply for a route restricted license complete the Application for a Route Restricted Driver's License (SCDMV Form DL-127) and mail it to the address below:

Driver Records
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0028

If your application is approved, a route restricted license costs $100.

The Ignition Interlock Program is overseen by the state Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services, which provides details on its website.

Temporary Alcohol License

You may be eligible for a temporary alcohol license (TAL) if you have one of the following suspensions and have filed for an administrative hearing:

  • Implied Consent
  • Implied Consent under 21
  • Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .15
  • BAC of .02 or more under 21

With a violation date  of May 19, 2024 or after, while awaiting a hearing request, you may request a TAL for a fee of $100. You will be able to use your TAL until SCDMV receives the results of the hearing. If your suspension is sustained, you must return the TAL and you will remain suspended until all requirements have been met. If your suspension is overturned, you must return the TAL. You may be eligible for your regular license.

Effective May 19, 2024, the above suspensions are no longer eligible for a route-restricted license.