Once you permanently move to South Carolina, you must apply to transfer your commercial driver's license (CDL) within 30 days. A commercial learner's permit (CLP) is not transferable to another state.

You must turn in your out-of-state CDL before receiving a CDL from this state. You must be 21 to drive outside of this state.

Find an SCDMV branch 

Transferring Your Out-of-State CDL

You must have acceptable documents proving your identity to transfer your out-of-state CDL.

To transfer your out-of-state CDL to SC, all of the following are required:

If you have a hazmat endorsement (H), you must pass the hazmat knowledge test and complete a check with the Transportation Security Administration.

If you've been convicted of an offense found in SC Code Section 23-3-460, you must register with the sheriff's office of the county you'll live in within three days of moving to the state.