Titling A Vehicle
You may hear a title transaction called a title transfer. A transfer is processed the same as any transfer of ownership (buying or selling).
You will need all of the following to properly title a vehicle in South Carolina:
- Completed Title Application (SCDMV Form 400)
- Completed Statement of Vehicle Operation in South Carolina (SCDMV Form TI-006), if applicable
Only if you do not have an SC driver's license or ID.
- Title signed over to you as the buyer
The price and odometer reading at the time of sale must be included on the back of the title. If it is not there, you will need the Bill of Sale.
- Title fee
- Infrastructure Maintenance Fee payment, if applicable
- A signed Bill of Sale/Buyer’s Order is required for all title transactions showing the total sale prices of the vehicle, minus any trade-in value. The buyer’s signature is required on the Bill of Sale.
You may visit an SCDMV branch office with the above documents to title your vehicle. If you plan to drive your vehicle, you will also need to register the vehicle.
Authorized Vendors to Provide Title and Lienholder Information
AutoDataDirect, Inc. is authorized by the SCDMV to provide real-time access to title and lienholder information in accordance with state law.