Quick Links

Classes A, B, and C
CDL Restriction Codes
CDL Testing
Check Medical Certificate Status
Getting your First CDL
Entry Level Driver Training
Hazmat Requirements
Moving your CDL to SC
Renew or Upgrade your CDL

Medical Examiner's Certificate

If you're a commercial driver, you must maintain a medical examiner's certificate that complies with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations if the type of commerce in which you intend to operate requires it. A medical professional on FMCSA's National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners must examine and certify you.

If you're required to carry a medical examiner's certificate, you must keep your certificate current. You must submit proof that you are medically qualified every time you apply for a CLP, CDL, upgrade your CDL license, renew your CDL license, change your address, or request a duplicate CDL.

You may fax your medical examiner certificate to 803-896-2676 or scan and email it to the SCDMV if it is replaced before you need a new CDL.


A brief video is available that highlights the steps in checking your Medical Certificate status through the website. 

Applying for a CDL

You must complete an application for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Learner's Permit (SCDMV Form 447-CDL). Additionally, you may be required to complete Affidavit of Previous Driver's License (SCDMV Form DL-402) and Commercial Driver's License CDL Holders Medical Certification (Form DL-405A) if the SCDMV does not have a current one on file.

The SCDMV will contact the jurisdictions where you previously held a license to get information on any and all traffic violations during the past 10 years. Your commercial driver's license (CDL) may be suspended or revoked if there are unresolved or disqualifying violations.

Database Checks

The SCDMV will check your driving history in other states using the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS) and the Commercial Driver License Information System (CDLIS). These checks happen when you apply for an original CDL, renew a CDL, retest for a CDL, or move from a commercial learner's permit (CLP) to a CDL. 

Disqualifications from holding a CDL

You will not be able to hold a CDL if you have committed any of the following violations:

  • Operated a commercial vehicle with a revoked, suspended, or canceled CDL
  • Caused a death through the negligent or criminal operation of a commercial vehicle
  • Operated a commercial vehicle without a CDL
  • Operated a commercial vehicle without a CDL with you
  • Operated without a required endorsement

Entry Level Driver Training

Following the successful completion of your CDL Knowledge examination for a commercial learner's permit, you will need to complete an FMCSA approved ELDT training program to be eligible to take the CDL Skills test.

FMCSA's Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set uniform minimum training standards for entry-level drivers seeking to obtain certain commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs) and CDL endorsements, as established in 49 CFR part 380 subpart F.

Entry level drivers include those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

Find out more about ELDT.

Social Security Verification

The SCDMV uses the Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV) to check your name, date of birth, and social security number against your Social Security Administration (SSA) record.

If the information you provide does not match your SSA record, you must correct the information with the SSA before the SCDMV may issue you a CDL.

Anytime you apply for a CDL the SCDMV will verify your information through (SSOLV). This process will impact you if any of the following are true:

  • You are applying for your first Class A, B, or C CLP or CDL.
  • You are a new resident exchanging your out-of-state CDL for a South Carolina CDL.
  • You are applying for a change in CDL class. For example, if you’re changing from a Class B to a Class A license.

To avoid a licensing delay, make sure your legal name, date of birth and social security number matches the information contained in your SSA record.

Help Fight Trafficking

The nation's truck drivers are in a unique position to spot and combat human trafficking. Familiarize yourself with the signs of human trafficking with help from Truckers Against Trafficking.