Driver-Related Fees

Products Cost
4-year or less License (International customers only) $12.50
5-year Hazmat License
8-year License
Beginner's Permit (original, renewal, duplicate, and modified) $2.50
CDL Application
Driving Record
Duplicate or Modified License or ID $10
ID Cards:  5 to 16 years old $15
ID Cards:  17 years of age or older (within a year or less of renewal cycle) Free
Knowledge Test $2 each
Manuals (download for free or purchase a hard copy from a branch office for a fee)

$5 + tax

Title & Registration* Fees

Registration Fees  Cost
Title (or Expedited Title only available in person) $15 ($35)
Most passenger cars $40
RVs $40
People who are 64 $38
People who are 65 or older or who have a disability** $36
Motorcycles and mopeds $10
Utility or Camper Trailers $10
Permanent Trailer Plate $87
Trailers with an empty weight more than 2500 lbs.


Hybrids  $60 + registration fee
Electric vehicles

$120 + registration fee

Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF) 5% of the purchase price, but no more than $500
One-time fee for new vehicle previously registered in another state $250

*The majority of registration fees (not including title fees or IMF) above are paid once every two years or "biennially."
**If you have a disability, you must submit a statement from a medical doctor as to permanency of the disability.

Gross Vehicle Weight Fee

GVW Fee Cost
1-4000 $30
4001-5000 $40
5001-6000 $60
6001-7000 $70
7001-8000 $80
8001-9000 $90
9001-10000 $100
10001-11000 $110

The Schedule of License Fees has additional information on the cost to register trucks or trailers. Trucks over 26,000 gross vehicle weight and buses that hold 16 passengers or more and are for hire, must show an SSN or FEIN, but a tax receipt is not required.

Penalties for Late Registration

 Days Late Cost
46 to 60 days $10
61 to 75 days $25
76 to 135 days $50
Over 135 days $75

Penalties for Late Registration Renewal

Days Late Cost
1 to 14 days $10
15 to 30 days $25
31 to 90 days $50
Over 90 days $75

Accepted Payments

You may pay with cash, check, credit, or debit card at any SCDMV branch. If you're paying with a credit or debit card, the card must be in your name. It cannot be in the name of a business or company you represent.

If you're completing an online transaction, you must pay with a credit or debit card.

If you're mailing a transaction, you must pay with a check or money order made out to the SCDMV.

When mailing a transaction, please direct the paperwork and payment to the appropriate business unit. Please note that the mailing address for the appropriate business unit is listed on the SCDMV form you are submitting.

Service Fee

There's a $1 + 1.7% service fee for transactions that are paid for using a debit or credit card. This is not an SCDMV fee. This service fee is for the processing of debit and credit cards. You may use cash to pay for your transaction when visiting the SCDMV in person in order to avoid this service fee.

Returned Checks

The SCDMV will stop providing many services to the check writer until all dishonored checks and fees are paid. The check writer refers to the person who is paying for SCDMV services.

As a result, the SCDMV will not accept checks from the check writer for three years from the date full payment (check amount in addition to dishonored check fees) is paid to the SCDMV. This payment must be made by cash or cashier’s check.

If the SCDMV receives a returned check notification from your bank:

  • You will be notified by mail that you need to pay the outstanding fees.
  • You must pay the amount of the check, plus a $30 returned check fee.
  • A cash alert will be added to your SCDMV record.
  • The SCDMV will not accept personal checks from you.
  • The cash alert will remain in place for three years after any and all dishonored check fees are paid.

You may pay at any SCDMV branch or by mail to the address below:

Dishonored Check Unit
PO Box 1029
Blythewood, SC 29016-1029

Find an SCDMV branch
Do not mail cash.

Until all fees are paid, you will not be able to do any of the following: 

  • Renew your driver's license
  • Renew your vehicle registration
  • Replace a lost or stolen driver's license
  • Replace a lost or stolen license plate
  • Apply for a disabled placard
  • Buy a copy of your driving record

The agency will notify the South Carolina Department of Revenue regarding customers that have not paid for a returned check. That agency may collect money for your unpaid check through your state tax refund.

If you have questions regarding returned checks, contact the SCDMV at 803-896-5000.