Do I need insurance?

When you apply for or renew your driver’s license or commercial driver’s license (CDL), you must certify you are insured by an automobile liability policy if you own a vehicle.

You will certify it on one of the following forms, depending on what type of license you're applying for:

If you do not own a vehicle or a vehicle is not in the household, you must include that on your application.

The first time you register your vehicle in this state, and each time your registration is renewed, you must provide the name of your insurance company.

Know the facts about driving uninsured.

The insurance company must be licensed to do business in this state.

Verifying your Insurance 

The SCDMV will electronically verify your coverage. If your insurance policy cannot be verified, your license and vehicle registration may be suspended. If suspended, the vehicle's owner may have to pay up to $400 in fees to drive again.

If you are a new resident in this state and have an automobile policy with a national insurance company, change your address with your insurance company before you register your vehicle in this state.

Proof of Insurance Inside your Vehicle

If a law enforcement officer stops you, you must show your proof of insurance for the vehicle you’re driving. If the officer writes you a ticket for not providing proof, you must provide proof of insurance within 30 days. By showing proof, you may avoid a driver's license suspension. If your license is suspended, you will owe $100 to reinstate your license.